Theme

Think about a book you are currently reading. What is the book’s theme: Friendship, Jealousy, Right vs. Wrong, etc. What evidence from your reading led you to this conclusion?

Please watch the following TeacherTube video before writing your response for step-by-step directions in how to determine a book’s theme:

What is Theme?

62 thoughts on “Theme

1. I read a book called Roughing it out on he oreagon trail and to me i think the theme is to learn about when citezens moved to oreagon but also they want us to go outside and be active

2. I have currently just finished “The Boxcar Children: Mystery Behind the Wall” and the theme is quite hard to find, since it is in a mystery genre. The theme is that perseverance pays off. The main characters, Benny and Ross, have gone through a lot of dead ends trying to solve a mystery. Even Benny’s older siblings gave up! But they persevered and solved the mystery!

3. I read a book called Diary of the Wimpy Kid the Third Wheel. The theme of this book is love. They also have one theme is caring for each others.

4. The theme of my book is do good, not bad. The reason I can tell of this theme is because each of the characters had a choice to do something bad but they decide to do what was right. For example, a character named Jay could have all the treasure, gold, and gems he ever wanted, but he said no because he had all the riches he needed, his friends.

5. The theme of one of my thirty book challenge books: Matilda, has a theme of love conquers all. How I got the theme is because of Matilda scaring Ms. Trunchbull that she fainted.

6. In the book Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Old School, written by Jeff Kinney, I would say that one of the main theme’s is resolving real-life problems. As an example,Greg, the main character, usually leaves the cap off of the toothpaste and on the counter (which his dad usually hates when he does that). But this time, Greg decided to put the cap back on the toothpaste so his dad wouldn’t have gotten so mad. But while in the process of doing that, he accidentally dropped the cap in the sink and it went right down the drain. When he tried to get the cap out of the pipes under the sink, the pipe broke and the water flowed all over the bathroom floor. Greg thought that it would eventually soak up with the towels but, the water actually went through the floor and onto the ceiling of the dining room. Greg didn’t want to show it to his dad so he had his uncle (that ended up not having a drivers license but Greg didn’t know that till they were already driving) drive him to the paint shop to get some paint that would cover up the water stain. But in the process of getting there, they ran out of gas but had just enough time to pull over to the side of the road and call Greg’s mom to come pick them up. Overall, they didn’t even end up getting the water paint. This is evidence from the text that Greg tries to resolve real life problems but sometimes he just makes the problems worse.

7. In the book the 39 clues, the theme is mystery. The characters are, amy, dan and, nellie. The problem is that they are fighting other people for the clues but, they could get cauht by another family.

8. The book I am reading is a history book called “Mysteries of Mind, Space & Time. It’s is a very interesting book and I do recommend it.
    The book has a lot of interesting facts about history and all the people in time. So the conclusion is this is a interesting book to read

9. The theme for The Phoenix of Destiny is friendship and loyalty. I say friendship because on pages 50 and 53 it states that “After all, I didn’t want to disappoint Blossom . She was always so kind to me.” and also “my dear friend Blossom”. I also think that loyalty is a big part of this book because on page 336 it show the loyalty that Geronimo shows for Queen Blossom. My evidence is “But I am a mouse of my word, and I had agreed to help the queen, so that’s exactly what I would do”. So that is the theme for The Phoenix of Destiny.

10. The book I am r adding is a history book called Mysteries of Mind, Space & Time. I like this book because it tells about all the things that have happened in history and all the people. So I highly recommend this book if you want to learn about history and all of its people

11. In my story, “Shark Escape” the theme is about being brave because in the book, Arnold was scared of the sharks but when he studies them a little bit more, he felt better and was a little bite braver.

12. The title of my book is Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules
    The theme of my story is even when siblings don’t get along at first through time their relationships get better.
    The evidence from the book that gave me this conclusion is, in the beginning Rodrick and Greg kept fighting. But at the end they started getting along.

13. For the past week I have been reading Diary of a Wimpy kid. The theme is having a hard time with life. In the first few pages it is also about love and jealousy. That is the theme in the book.

14. The theme of my book was that if you are prepared and have a strategy you will beet your aponent in combat I know that because it was telling telling me to get really good stuff that combat isn’t about just getting in there and start doing combat it’s about having a strategy.

15. The book I am currently reading is called it’s fine to be 9. It is a book of 12 mini stories. The theme is realistic fiction. The story is about a boy who can do a headstand and his brother can’t. So his brother didn’t eat. After a week his dad took him to the bathroom and dumped corn flakes on his head. Then he ate his food. I think it is pretty obvious that this book demonstrates the theme of realistic fiction

16. I read a book called Quest for Paradise, and I think the theme of the story is to be kind and loyal because a mouse is trying to fulfill his promise. Also, he saved his friend.

17. I read a book called Mr.Magorium’s Wonder Emporium and the theme is to always believe in yourself and then then thing you never knew about yourself will come true. Evidence: There is a young woman named Mahoney who must own a emporium that belonged to her manager Mr.Magorium because he must leave the world and his emporium found out and began turning gray and shut everything off including itself (it’s a magic emporium) afterward Mahoney must believe in herself and a cube that Mr.Magorim gave her to unlock the secret magic in herself she never knew about and saves the emporium from completely destroying itself.

18. I think the theme for the book Nancy Drew,The Secret of Shadow Ranch is to never give up. I know this because on page 10 it said that “Nancy had not given up.Their dash into the terminal had excited curious stares… ”She tries to find the missing treasure of the Shadow Ranch. Nancy endured rock slides, streams that have overflowed, and even a muddy bank collapsing. Even after all that, she still did not give up. In the end she solves the mystery, finds the treasure all because she didn’t give up.

• Remember – the theme is the lesson of the story. What lesson do you think the author is trying to teach the reader? Re-watch the video if you need to do so.

19. In the book Freddy ready Earth Day,the lesson is if we all do a LITTLE part to clean the Earth then it would be a better place to live in. I know this because the teacher said in the story if we all do a LITTLE part to clean the Earth then it would be a better place to live in.

20. In the book the Abominable Snowman of Pasadena, the theme is to be brave and not give up on your mission. The perseverance and exploring outside will help you achieve that mission.

21. I read The Silver Chair (The Chronicles of Narnia) which is a fantasy/mystery novel. The theme of this book is to have courage, not to let fear conquer you. Jill Pole and Eustace Scrubb had to go find Prince Rilian by the orders of Aslan. With the help of Puddleglum, Jill and Eustace focused on their mission, went through dangers of giants, dwarfs, dragons, and The Lady of the Green Kirtle. Despite the frightening moments, the children did not allow fear to conquer them. So, Jill and Eustace succeeded in their mission of bringing Prince Rilian back home safely.

22. The book I read ” The Chalk Kid ” is that the theme is we should get very creative, because you can learn a lot by doing it ,and it says that he made a big garden, just with chalk. He also made a good job ,so when we get creative we should put our best effort into it.

23. I read a book called Chocolate sabotage by Elisabetta Dami, the theme is that friendship and trust worthy will help you in situations because you can trust a friend to do something to make it happen no matter how big the risk are. It stats that on page 124, it says “We’d your help. But it would mean you’d have to face Alvarez in the fur, all alone. It could be dangerous…….”Paulina didn’t have a chance to finish. Luz got it right away “Don’t worry about me. I’m not afraid to face that slimy sewer rat! I’ll do any thing to help………….” So, those two would be the theme.

24. My favorite book is captain underpants because it’s about George and Harold hypnotizing there principle turning him in to the greatest superhero of all time, which is Captain Underpants. Captain Underpants hears about crimes and just runs toward it . Captain Underpants gets caught and the two sixth graders which are George and Harold have to rescue Captain Underpants before he gets melted by the heat – o three thousand. The theme is to never dump water on someone too de- hypnotize the person who got hypnotized.

• Be careful, Neev. You might want to refer to our Theme list. Also, remember to capitalize the name of a book. I think you did a great job of citing the text.

25. Currently, I am reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck. I really like this book so far. I think the theme currently is Responsibility, which means to do things on your own and to take care of things yourself. I think this because Greg states ” I’ve been paying Rowley one peanut butter cracker for each page he transcribes for me.” Another example in the text is.. ” Me and Rowley have a deal where he’s in charge of scouting for dog poop on the sidewalk”. Now, since Rowley isn’t his friend anymore. He has to watch out for dog poop and do his cursive homework by himself since Rowley and his friendship has now broken apart. This is just 1 theme that is in the book. There are probably many more themes that you can do.

26. I read a story called Dog Man and Dav Pilky is the author for the book called Dog Man. Dog Man showed courage. The theme of this story is braveness. Dog Man was simply not just brave because he fought a lot of crimes. Dog Man was not afraid of any criminal. The most difficult battle was with Petey, the cat. One time Petey built a vacuum cleaner and Dog Man got sucked up but when Dog Man got out he took Petey to jail.

27. The book I am reading is, “Judy Moody Predicts the Future.” The theme is laziness because instead of studying for the test she slept the whole time and jealously because since she failed the test and another girl got hundred percent and she teased her

28. In the Jungle Book the theme is jealousy because Shere Khan is jealous. He is jealous that Mowgli always has something or someone protecting him. Shere Khan never got the chance or was successful on harming Mowgli. The lesson is to tell you not to be jealous and you will be successful